Sunday, April 28, 2013

Jonathan Goldsmith-The Most Interesting Man in the World

 Oh hi. Everyone thought I was gone, didn't they. They thought I couldn't handle the pressures of running multi-million dollar empire all by myself. Oh yes, I can. In an act of true transparency, I've been hunting down the story of a lifetime. The question? Who is this man....


This Dos Equis ad has been littering print, computer screens for the past few years. The character (pictured here) is known simply as The Most Interesting Man in The World and is the spokesman for the Dos Equis brand of beer. In the commercials the character is pictured as an oracle of wisdom, a bon vivant. Through his stories and experiences, this person all of a pastiche of "cool" characters you've seen or heard about many times. I've seen about 10 of the spots and I wondered who this person was. And then I thankfully forgot about it and went on to more important things like making fake personal ads on the internet and playing "got your tongue!" with my cat.




 Advert your eyes if you don't want dreamz shattered and whatnot...

I was watching Charlie's Angels one night as the doctors prescribed and I watched this episode called One of Our Angels Is Missing. Not the happiest of titles. Anyway our angels had to find a sleaze factory of a man named Rick Devlin. Devlin was thought to be a simple petty thief. He wasn't. Turns out he was a rapist and murder and he was with our Kris Munroe! When I say this portrayal was eerie, I'm not kidding, this guy was one of the worst characters I've seen and he was played by a actor named Johnathan Goldsmith. With actors like Richard Romanus and Stanley Kamal all but spinning themselves into the concrete in their guest turns, Goldsmith got his job done very quietly and in an unsettling manner. And guess what? Turns out Rick Devlin, well...


...He's also this guy. Turns out Johnathan Goldsmith isn't this larger than life character but a character-actor I've seen a lot of times. I've probably seen him too. Goldsmith's IMDB stats are filled with a lot of seedy, often cowardly and despicable characters. In fact I think I saw him on an old episode of Bonanza choking Hoss with his own bare hands. Even on search engines you can see pics of an acting Goldsmith in the midst of grimacing, plotting, planning and playing horrible characters who chased after generations of actresses from Helen Hayes to Kay Lenz... To add more intrigue (this just fascinates me) Goldsmith's name was also Johnathan Lippe in the '70s. He's everywhere!




Note: This investigation earned me this award.


                                                             











3 comments:

Bridal lehenga said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rich said...

Good post. I just saw him, billed as "Jonathan Lippe," looking very sweaty and uncool (playing a rapist!) on a late 1960s Dragnet.

Unknown said...


Heh, thank you Rich. Jonathan Lippe huh? He can't hide from us. I bet he's got a lot of credits and roles--mostly as bad guys.