Saturday, August 18, 2007

Pop Culture Idiot Intimate Portrait: Fats Domino

He doesn't look that fat by today's standards. Let's call him Stout Domino...


It seems that I've lost the license to my "Pop Culture Idiot Achiever Award." I was taken from me by those who hate America. I've fortunately rallied and found another way of honoring deserving acts, the Intimate Portrait. And no it doesn't sound familiar. The first in this revamped series is Fats Domino.

Oddly enough, I've shied away from listening to Domino's collected work. I don't know why. It's not that there's anything fundamentally wrong with Fats, it's just that I shouldn't be listening to him. I had always been a fan of "I'm Walkin'" and "I'm Gonna Be A Wheel Someday" so I decided to investigate further. Sorry I did. Previously innocuous songs like "Josephine","I'm Ready" and "Walking to New Orleans" have triggered a collection of "spells" that I have yet to recover from...


Here's a pic of Fats at my 30,303 visitors party. I don't know about you, but I don't think he's aged a day...









Not so fast...

After Hurricane Katrina, Fats was missing for a bit and one of his "fans" was able to close the book on Domino. As of this printing, Fats is still alive and owes me $50...

No comments: