Monday, November 13, 2006

Kind of Watching It TV: Ice T's Rap School

It had to happen, Ice T with his own reality show. I knew it was going after his segment on Cribs when he called his Kool Aid "pimp Kool-Aid." That deserves at least a 15 episode commitment. While he makes like a block of wood with sporadic life-like approximations on Law and Order: SUV, Ice was once one of music's brightest stars. He was certainly one of my favorites. Oh yeah, he was a totally misogynistic and probably started gangsta rap but anyway...

The premise here has T teaching the kids from York Prep how to be rappers. While I don't expect any of the kids to have real skills, the very idea is off putting. Why should we care?
Of course this plays into a few stereotypes of boring-ass kids with no flow and or shy ones who find themselves via Ice-T's old-timey rapping style. It's all garbage and sadly entertaining.

Kids Are Annoying...

I hate these kids. What's to like? They've got fresh mouths, no talent and they're moronic. Guess what? One of the kids even brought up the fact that Ice-T hasn't had a hit in 10 years. Actually it's 15. To his credit, Ice-T does seem to have a ton of patience and retained all of his great skills. I just wish he'd revert back to Ice-T of the '90s talking about sawed off shotguns, peeling caps back, good times....

Grade B+


No "Teach" No!!!!

4 comments:

Steve said...

Hi Jason, long time reader. Oh wait, I post here.

Anyway, is Ice-T related to Mr. T? I ask this question as if I am serious and am curious how one can growl "Don't do druuuugs" and the other can perform Cop Killer. Where did these relatives go wrong? At least Ice-T seems to have less anger.

I need to go now, as I am exploring the legal headache I will have to go through to get a hyphen in my name.

Yours,

S-Teve

Unknown said...

Hey Steve! It's Ja-Son. And yes, Ice T and Mr. T are related. The family resemblance is eerie. But aren't they different though. For the past 20 odd years Mr. T has always been a law-abiding citizen albeit an insanely loud one. On the other hand, his younger brother Ice-T, well, you know...

I have to say I do kind of like Ice-T's ridiculous show. He's oddly interesting...

Shawn said...

the sound of that man's voice aggravates me. Can you explain to me how he got a job on Law & Order? If that's not some of the worst acting I've ever seen.

Unknown said...

Shawn, I think Ice-T got the job because Dick Wolf likes him. Ice did a stint on New York Undercover--and the rest is history. Aside from Richochet and New Jack City (he really couldn't act in that), Ice-T's been in some bad movies. I remember one were people were hunting him or something. Heh, awful :)

His voice is aggravating. If he's not rapping about something "important" he just sounds silly.