Wednesday, August 16, 2006

My You Tube Favorites: What?

You know, I made sure to cultivate a "cutting edge" and "state of the art" video selection. After all, it reflected my coolness and it's also what the kids are listening to today. It seems that YouTube's recent technical difficulties turned everything into a madhouse. Imagine my horror when all of my hip-hop and alternative rock favorites were replaced with a bunch of hooey, MOR-ish stuff. I can't stand it! Let's review...


Olivia Newton-John and Cliff Richard- Suddenly

I heard someone had been looking for this particular clip for quite a while, years in fact. When he found it? He had to choke back a sob. Honestly, this is just a nice song, there's nothing wrong with a song like that. In fact, I wish they still made BS, I mean, great stuff like that.




Bottom Line: Classic! And here's another clip.

James Taylor and JD Souther- Her Town Too






I actually like this version much better than the one that showed up on Dad Loves His Work. Taylor's in better voice, better phrasing, in short, less produced. Really I don't know what this video is doing in my favorites, it's a mystery. I'm really going to have to investigate...


Unfiltered:
To be honest, I totally could have lived with his being just James Taylor. I never was a fan of JD Souther as a singer. He's a good writer though--and did some acting, he appeared on "thirtysomething." James looks kind of out of it here. It's great...




Eddie Money-Shakin



It's clear that Eddie Money has some problems. For this? His less than stellar video presence was saved by Apollonia Kotero. As for Eddie, like me he wasn't born no yesterday and he appears here as the world's oldest 33 year old. Frankly, given his countenance and blaring voice, it's hard to fathom that his twenties were just four years earlier. In short, ain't no way...



More Apollonia Praise:
Got to say, she was so Apollonia-esque here, you can certainly see why Patty got the nod for Purple Rain. Wow...


Update:
YouTube sent me a letter and said these are my favorites and that there was no mixed up. That's crazy talk...

9 comments:

Steve said...

Jason: awesome as always blah blah blah. :-) I understand Mr. Money could be reading this, so I have to ask: Did you actually copyright the "Constipated Singing" style? It's not that you sing like every truck driver in a rest area after eating too much Mexican food, but, well, you know. LMK.

Unknown said...

Thanks Steve :) I never thought that Mr. Money could be reading this. Oddly enough, I feel no contrition.


LOL@Money's facial expressions. Corny! I think Normal Fell did less mugging on Three's Company.

Ginger said...

I think I love you.

Rob! said...

JASON! I love this post. Great videos. Hey have you checked out retrojunk.com?
A bottomless pit of all things 70s, 80s and early 90s.
Where else can you catch the opening credits to Perfect Strangers? Man, that Balki...

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Ginger ;)

Thanks Rob, you know I really do like these videos LOL. I checked out Retrojunk.com, it's very nice.

I did like the original opening credits to Perfect Strangers, haven't seen that show in a while...

Anonymous said...

Hello Jason Elias--

I am the moderator of the WashingtonDCBloggers group on Yahoo. We would love to have you join us.

By the way-- interesting blog.

Shawn said...

Lawd, I can't take it. I almost died of laughter watching Olivia and better yet Cliff. His facial expressions are hysterical.

Looks like someone didn't want to be at work that day in the second clip.

Unknown said...

I was laughing at that clip too Shawn. There's this one scene where Cliff is looking especially crazy and Olivia's almost glaring at him LOL.


JD was looking rough. He probably just rolled out of bed 10 minutes before filming. As for James he looks a little "off" that's pretty much his look at the time, heh heh...

Unknown said...

Thanks Q. I'll check that group out.