Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Star Jones Leaves The View



Just as I was putting the finishing touches on my review of Pop Rocks, I was hit with this news, Star Jones is leaving the View. Actually I first read it on the Access Hollywood and dismissed it as "crazy talk." Turns out, it was totally true.


A Review Of Jones "See-Ya": I have way expected the news. Of course to get to that point the gals indulged in idle chit-chat about something or other. An uncomfortable pause took place when Jones decided to lower the boom right in the middle of Hot Topics. Long story short, this great escape/exit came to Star after some contemplation. Meaning, the lumbering, creepy jerkazoid coming in September was took much for Jones to take. Star mentioned something about the show's "change of direction" which made an off-camera Bill Geddie bear down his teeth until they shattered into little bits.

Part II: The rest of the girls seemed to take the news well. Barbara Walters said something or other in her secret language. Joy Behar's clown-like face remained intact and Elisabeth Hasselback muttered something about shoes.


They're all leaving like the America's Next Top Model girls! Pretty soon it will just be Rosie and the animals she kills with her bare hands.






Update: Star was fired. According to People.com, this is how Star tells it: "What you don't know is that my contract was not renewed for the tenth season," she tells PEOPLE. "I feel like I was fired." She adds that she was told her contract wouldn't be renewed just days before news leaked that O'Donnell would be joining The View.



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't even blogged about this yet because I am still on cloud nine. Not only did they not ask her to come back in Sept. , but then they go ahead and told her not to show up anymore at all. Babs was pissed that she blindsided them. To the woman whose 15 minutes of fame lasted 9 years....tah tah!

Anonymous said...

Oh and P.S.-how long do you think it will take before she goes and tries to play the race card?

Unknown said...

Rob, frankly I was glad Babs was blindsided, I thought that was hilarious. As much as I don't agree with Star and like, can't stand looking at her/hearing her; this deal is so dirty, I feel a bit sorry for her. I hope Star doesn't play the race card, it may be a slight aspect of that--but no one wants to hear that angle, there's plenty of other stuff to talk about.

Sadly I think this has given Star enough material for another book...LOL.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, I rewound the Tivo (can you rewind Tivo?) to see Barbara's reaction as Star starts talking about it. Hilarious. I don't know if it was really a dirty deal or not, it's the business...and Star has been in it far too long to plead ignorant. She's an idiot if she didn't see the writing on the wall. The viewers got sick and tired of her snotty and self-congratulatory comments. Besides all that she was dishonest and misled her fans and the other viewers--whether about her weight loss, plastic surgery, wedding, etc. Yet, the hypocrite continued to insist that she was honest and truthful. ABC saw this and decided now, with her contract expiring, was the perfect time to make the break. Meredith was leaving and they would need a new host...so why not just do it all in one swift move? Of course, Star had to do things her way and then dropped the bomb prematurely a day before...just to spite ABC, Bill Geddie, and Barbara Walters. Whatever. I'm sure they could give two hoots about it...they were so glad to get rid of her, no doubt. It looks like this may have served as a wakeup call to Elisabeth as well-she looked mortified and stunned. Oh well, it's TV so what do you expect.
I'm planning on going and checking myself into an institution for obsessing over such crap. What is wrong with me?

Unknown said...

Rob this thing's a mess! LOL. I caught the show today and saw Hasselbeck being nice to Al Gore, you know she's terrified. They need to cut her loose. I said the same thing about Star but good lord, I didn't think they'd be so devious about it. Maybe writing isn't the nastiest business after all...

Really Star on full throttle was probably enough to test anyone's patience, but I think Hasselbeck has truly ruined the show. I don't believe Star was the cause of the ratings decline, the show's quality is most at fault IMO.

There's nothing wrong with you or me, this stuff is just interesting.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this article, Jason. I was thinking of doing one myself but you hit every base perfectly. Well done, lad.

Unknown said...

Thanks Bill!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, Rob must be in the business. He seems so well versed in all the intricacies of "the biz," ABC/The View/Star Jones fiasco. I am impressed.

Unknown said...

That was good Shawn. I know you know a lot about "the biz" heh heh. Me? I thought that Star Jones and Barbara Walters were the bestest friends and they'd work together, forever!

Anonymous said...

Oh yea...everyone thought BW and SJ were the bestest friends...hahahaha....NOT

Unknown said...

Although I don't think Star is/was that naive, I know Barbara gave her a wake up call--and I bet Barbara was shocked by all of this. Good! LOL.