Sunday, June 04, 2006

Game Show Marathon: Let's Survey The Damage

See that Bob Barker, this show can run without you!


This seemed like a good idea but then, well, not so much. CBS is doing this show called, Game Show Marathon, the only question is why. The premise is simple, a bunch of celebrities hanging around play on the sets of game shows. If it were only that simple. The problem is simple, the cast is bad. There's no subtext from those truly odd game show personalities. In short, there's no chance of Charles Nelson Reilly and Brett Sommers drunk, catty and falling into stuff. The good part? This cast will be giving the money to charity and yes, my blog rerouted the funds so I'll be getting a cut...


What This Show Does:
Well besides the queasy feeling, it does plenty. It shows that America is in a deep decline of truly interesting game show talent. When you've got a show who has both Lance Bass and Adam Carolla on deck, you are in some serious trouble.


Admittedly, I didn't watch a whole bunch of this. I saw the Price is Right entry and was shocked at how lifeless it was, the production values were totally bad. I saw Tim Meadows, Kathy Najimy, Brande Roderick, Paige Davis--and that was all she wrote, I had to escape...





The Damage: Ongoing B-


Although Bob Barker seemed ok with Ricki Lake hosting, he later excused himself and dropped a steaming load near the wheel...






Wed 5/31: The Price Is Right
Thu 6/1: Let's Make a Deal
Wed 6/7: Crack Smoke Off
Thu 6/15: High Rollers
Thu 6/22: Win, Lose or Hurl in a Bucket
Thu 6/29: You Name The Goo

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had high hopes for this show but I was very disappointed by what I saw. Ricki Lake was horrible as host, the celebrities didn't seem to care at all, and the games weren't even played correctly. The idea for the show has potential but they have to drop Ricki Lake and the celebrities.

Anonymous said...

What an awful idea. Yuck. Why would anybody want Ricki Lake to host anything?

On serious note, I wish they'd revive the match game. I love watching reruns on GSN.

Anonymous said...

Jason...as always you crack me up. Barker dumping a steaming load! That couldn't be more true!!! What's with the lame-ass celebrities they have? I mean come on---if you're gonna go E-list...try Joey Lawrence or Dave Couiler or something. And it sucks that Kathy Griffin was in the audience but not on the show? LAME-O.

Unknown said...

Mort, I think the main problem is that its a different type of celebrity being used here. Also, no one's drunk or pissy--that was what made a lot of these things work in the '70s.

Sadly I've got to agree about Ricki Lake, Shawn. I thought it might have worked but it's not. I've watched Match Game on GSN a lot--that was a great show.


Thanks Rob LOL. I'm not the biggest Kathy Griffin fan but maybe she would have been a better host. She's funny, she's speed things along and she'd probably insult the celebs. That's what's needed in a game show host...

Anonymous said...

I think some of those folks you saw in the audience, like Kathy Griffin, Betty White and Adam Carolla, will show up as panelists on the Match Game episode. Also, I'm expecting this to get better since the boring shows (Let's Make a Deal, Beat the Clock) are out of the way now. I'm watching the Press Your Luck episode now, and it's much better than the last couple of shows.

http://thejebber.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I didn't see Betty White, Jebb, now that's good news. I've got to agree, the Press Your Luck show was good...