Friday, January 06, 2006

Prince and Diamond and Pearl...

*Coughs* Overdone....


Yes I'm disconsolate. I've been thinking about Prince's Diamonds and Pearl. Often I wonder about them, in fact I was thinking about going on a talk show so I could meet them and stuff. Although they only lasted in Prince's orbit from 1991-92 they left a lasting impression.



Diamond and Pearl helped to steady Prince during the Diamond and Pearls era. Prince was reportedly looking for twins for his act with the New Power Generation. He couldn't find those "dancing" twins so he hired two similiar looking women and named them, Diamond and Pearl. Good news, they actually had real names, Lori Elle and Robia LaMorte. Prince and his girls appeared in videos like "Cream" "Get Off" and "Strollin'."


Unlike other acts, these two gals seemed like they were relegated to "set dressing" and dancing. Well that's not excatly true. This was about the time when Prince decided to "button it up" during the promotion of Diamond and Pearls. LaMorte ably stepped in and answered the questions Prince, well, just couldn't. Some might say the Prince's act got a wee bit tacky during this time and Diamond and Pearl were the pretty faces of an increasingly odd franchise. But then again, that's just being petty, ass-less pants were all the rage...

Found: Robia LaMorte is working as an actress and Lori Elle is working behind the camera. Prince is still Prince...

A clip from ABC's 1991's hit special "Doin' The Stroll With Robby Benson..."

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love you...
it's all great...

Unknown said...

Thanks Elle :)

Anonymous said...

How coincidental. I think about Diamond and Pearl a *lot* too ;) I had wondered for a loooong time about them and decided today to do some surfing and dind out where they were now.....Mayte...she's another one.....:)

Unknown said...

I do see Robia in commercials, she still looks great. Mayte is great too, I'm still wondering who the hottest one is...LOL

Anonymous said...

Definitely Mayte. I was watching the 3 Chains of Gold video the other night and found myself positively glued to her scenes. And I'm a very straight very engaged-to-be-married female!!
P.s. I'm from the UK so I wouldn't have caught any of those commercials.

Unknown said...

Those commercials are all crazy, I've seen a few from the UK too.

Mayte is a beautiful woman. I haven't seen 3 Chains of Gold in a while, I'm definately going to have to check that out again.

Anonymous said...

Info that I found at HQ on "Diamond" real name Lori Werner. Appears to be working at Dolores Werner (presumably her mother) performing arts studio. Link here: -

http://www.doloreswerner.com/page3.html

If that's a recent pic, she still looks great to me!

Unknown said...

Lori Elle Werner (Diamond) did some acting, but returned to dancing on Broadway. Now she's working mostly as a choreographer and director on such things as the national tour of Thoroughly Modern Millie, and between shows, works at her mother's dance studio near Atlanta.

Robia LaMorte (Pearl) retired from dance and went into acting, with roles in shows like Beverly Hills 90210 and movies like Earth Girls Are Easy; her best known role was as computer-science teacher Jenny Calendar during the first three seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She is now a born-again Christian and has retired from most acting (other than a commercial every now and then) to focus on ministry and Christian counseling. She lives near Los Angeles.

Unknown said...

I forgot to include Robia's web address -- www.robialamorte.com.

Unknown said...

Very nice info on Lori and Robin, David. I sure do remember Robin on Beverly Hills 90210, she was Steve's friend and Brandon was trying to hook up. It's totally cool to hear what she's doing now, I think I've seen her recently on a commercial too. It had to be her, she's very distinctive looking.

bharath said...

Hi,
I am very lucky to hear info on robin and lori. Heartening to hear about them. Her distinct appearence shows her from middle of any thing around.

***********************************
john

Christian Drug Rehab

Unknown said...

I was glad to hear they're doing ok too. I'd love to see more pics of them and how they look now.

Anonymous said...

I woul like to see some recent Lori's photos...

Anonymous said...

They appeared on the Howard Stern show for an extended interview on 15 October 1991. You can find copies of the show on the Internet Archive and other sources.