Monday, December 19, 2005

Horror Movie of the Year: The Miami Vice Trailer

I've had the good fortune to view the trailer from the highly anticipated film Miami Vice. The verdict? Not great. If I'm being totally honest, it made me sick to my stomach. More honesty? It's like a bad dream. The trailer for the movie of course is from an update to the popular and influential 1984-89 series. According to the synopsis on the Universal site, movie will be in the present, retain the original characters, their names and have different actors playing them. Oh goody.

Whether this a blockbuster or a full-fledged bomb, I'm not interested in this film. The casting seems off. Farrell, while a good actor doesn't possess what made Sonny Crockett accessible and likeable. Jamie Foxx as Ricardo Tubbs? Not quite. More than anything Tubbs was cool. At this point a large portion of Foxx's career has been the pursuit of trying to be cool and never quite getting there. In fact all of the problems are clearly evident in the trailer. And I have to say whatever accent Colin Farrell is using--it's very odd.

The nerve of them actually doing this again. People can say what they want, those two jackasses aren't Crockett and Tubbs. In case folks need to 'fresh their memories, I've enclosed a pic of the real Crockett and Tubbs, Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas. Now run tell that!

Disclaimer: Sorry for the strident tone it only means I'm very pissed off at the very idea of this movie.

Disclaimer 2: Don't believe that for a second, I'm not sorry, in fact I'm glad I said it. Glad I tell you...

Trailer: C-

Here's a clip...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol@those two jackasses...

I really felt you on that one.

Do you have a link to the trailor?

Unknown said...

Heh heh... I tried to be nice...

Here's the link, http://miamivice.com

Anonymous said...

They just really need to stop remaking so many TV shows to begin with. Although if they ever decide to do "Mr. Belvedere," I will be so happy.

Unknown said...

That's very true Don. For me, "Miami Vice" only exists as the TV show. This movie didn't need to be done, the very idea is shameful! LOL

You know I wouldn't be surprised if they did make a "Mr.Belvedere" movie. That was a horrible show...

Anonymous said...

Take away the color pink, and I contend that Miami Vice was one of the coolest cop shows this side of Hawaii Five-O. The fact that it is being remade makes me want to go ape$#!+.

If they try and represent the tone of the series, then that could be the only redeemable quality in this farce. If this goes all "Dukes of Hazzard" on us, I will find every General Lee in existance and pee in their gas tanks.

Word is bond.

Yo.

Unknown said...

You know Steve I think the pink did work for Miami Vice, well at least for that first season--and part of the 2nd.

According to reports and the convoluted "story" on the Miami Vice site, it's going to be a drama. Looks like there might be some unintentional laughs in it too. That started with the casting :)

Anonymous said...

well i certainly agree with your article. i'm really disappointed michael mann chose CF and Jamie Foxx. I absolutely cannot stand Jamie Foxx; all I see is Wanda on Living Color when i look at his face and it grosses me out. I loved Don Johnson, Philip Michael Thomas and the entire cast of the original Miami Vice. I'm also annoyed that they didn't just come out with the entire box set of all five seasons instead of this piecemeal season-by-season, especially when a pirated version is for sale because it really mixes people up. On the traler, CF just looks like a desheveled mess. Jamie Foxx just look like he's in the wrong movie. Gong Li is the closest thing to belonging there I've seen. she reminds of Castillo's wife that he thought was dead; can't remember the title of the episode.

Unknown said...

Thanks. I think "Golden Triangle" is the episode and yeah Gong Li does look like a bright spot...


I’m disappointed with the choices too. I don’t think either Colin Farrell or Jamie Foxx possess who Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas had. They were perfectly suited to play the original vision of Crockett and Tubbs—simply Farrell and Foxx aren’t.

As for Mann, I’ve always thought that he was ambivalent about Miami Vice. Although his subsequent work has referred back to it, I think he’s probably pissed that this was his best work. This whole deal smacks of a “do-over” and frankly there’s no need for it, especially with the odd casting.

And yeah for me, the “cooler” Jamie Foxx tries to get, the more Ugly Wanda I see… Colin Farrell does look like a mess—-and he’s not cool like Crockett. I could talk about this all day...LOL

I think it was ok how they released 1 and 2 in a relatively timely manner. I'm on the fence about 3. The demand probably wanes here although I liked it... I certainly think 4 and 5 should be released together. But really this whole deal should have been released a while ago. Universal is lucky that the show is still good...