Thursday, November 10, 2005

Vanilla Coke: Discontinued

Someone sent me an email detailing Vanilla Coke's being the drink of all of the "cool" people. I did think about it, but before I made the decision, I wanted to do some research. Bad news. Coca-Cola is discontinuing the much-loved soft drink beverage.

Vanilla Coke did indeed have a short shelf life. It debuted in late 2002. Consumers were greeted with an odious, expensive ad campaign that featured Simon Cowell and Chazz Palminteri. The commercial had Palimenteri as some "crime boss" hassling the world's biggest critic, Cowell. Missy Elliot appeared in a commercial too. Funny stuff if funny means something that is totally uninteresting and leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Come to think of it, that was perfect for Vanilla Coke.

Although it did seem like a promising concept, things either have to taste good, have some medicinal properties or give you a buzz to get repeat customers. Vanilla Coke did none of that. And if you didn't get the news, let me say it again, Vanilla Coke is over. Why does saying that give me so much joy...


A Review From Someone Who Used To Chew Aluminum Foil:
Got to say it was a great idea. However, I knew trouble was coming when I popped the cap. The vanilla used smelled like imitation vanilla, it was basically a cake in a can. In layman's terms, it tasted all kinds of bad.

As of early 2006 Vanilla Coke will be available in other places except the US. Finally some good news...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow... I hated vanilla coke. It made me sick to the stomach and turned me off from anything else that smelled/tasted like imitation vanilla, such as pudding, lotion, and liquid hand soap. That's pretty bad, huh?

Speaking of discontinued drinks, I am an avid Pepsi lover, but remeber that Blue Pepsi drink and Pepsi Clear?

And no Dr. Pepper has a diet vanilla cherry version.

When will the madness end?

Unknown said...

Hey Lasellab ;) you know I think they're are scented candles that probably tasted better than Vanilla Coke.

Oh yeah I remember that Pepsi Clear, that was something that was really, really bad LOL.

Anonymous said...

Pepsi is just bad in general, vanilla coke is one of the best soda's around, better tasting then that vanilla pepsi that they had out.

Unknown said...

You know, I really couldn't tell a big, big difference. And oddly enough I probably liked Pepsi's a a little bit more.

The concept of soda and vanilla needs to be more thought out or something. Maybe they should use vanilla with alcohol. Now that's a great idea. :)