Friday, November 11, 2005

Pop Culture Idiot Achiever of the Minute: Engelbert Humperdinck

When Engelbert loosens his tie, all bets are off...


Here's a true icon. Engelbert Humperdinck first gained notoriety in the US in the mid '60s. Such a talented guy. In fact the whole world was taken with his romantic sentiment mixed with a bit of smarm. Engelbert truly got cracking as a recording artist with songs like the silly "Quando, Quando, Quando" and the other song about bicycles or something. A personal fave is Humperdinck's version of Burt Bacharach and Hal David's "I'm a Better a Man."

After his career turned a bit cold, he signed to Epic Records and released classics like "After the Lovin'" and "The Last of the Romantics." This era provided Humperdinck with all of the tools to be called a "legend." He remains a well-loved talent today. Well except for those folks in the "I Hate Engelbert" club. It's clear they'll never come around.

Fast Facts: In the early '80s Humperdinck grew a moustache to further his acting career. Great...

Words From a True Fan: I have the good fortune to have Engelbert's 1969 classic Engelbert. It features his spell binding version of "Age of Aquarius."

Bygones: After having a public war of words, Bert and I have decided to bury the hatchet. Privately, we're still totally on the fence about one hating one another...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason, as a newer fan of your blog, I just have to say I never thought I'd read "spell binding version of "Age of Aquarius.""

Ever. I'm sad and confused, but I'll re-read your vanilla coke thing. :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks Steve :) You know there's no other way to describe Engelbert's version of "Age of the Aquarius." It's a classic LOL.