Thursday, June 16, 2005

Searching For Good Ol' Vam McCoy


Nice cover, really... Posted by Hello



Sadly that's not a typo. I've experienced some down time and I've been checking out "some sites" for some Van McCoy songs. But I couldn't find any. It was because I was repeatedly putting Vam McCoy in the search box. Smooth. You remember Vam McCoy don't you? He had that 1975 hit, "The Histle." I can be such an idiot at times.

I certainly know Van McCoy's work beyond "The Hustle." That's why I wanted to hear more stuff. I used to have The Disco Kid. It was a silly album, released after "The Hustle" so everything had that familiar loping sound. In fact a lot of McCoy's '70s productions did have a certain signature sound. Of course that's not great news for some. For some reason McCoy seemed to love dense, and a touch distorted productions. What I do find funny is the fact that even though McCoy used players like Gordon Edwards, Steve Gadd, Eric Gale, among others, it didn't seem to matter. The production was so pronounced, they often were buried in the mix. Heh, heh funny stuff...

Favorite Van McCoy songs and or productions

Brenda and the Tabulations- Right on the Tip of My Tongue

Van McCoy- The Hustle, Change With the Times, Party, The Walk, That's the Joint

David Ruffin- Who I am, In My Stride

Faith Hope and Charity- To Each Is Own

Gladys Knight and the Pips- Baby Don't Change Your Mind


Preferred Spelling: Vam McCoy

No comments: