Friday, December 21, 2007

Movies To Fall To Sleep On

You know I've seen so many movies and now I'm into multi-tasking. I like watching movies and falling asleep to them. Here's two recent favorites.




The Boost (1988) I hadn't seen this movie in over 15 years. Oddly enough, it did remain somewhere in my consciousness. This was a movie about a one-time small business man and husband who became rich and acquired a drug habit. His wife Linda (Sean Young) got one too. Watching this again, I saw just how fast Lenny (Woods) got hooked. He was down in the mouth, whining to quintessential '80s scum (John Kapelos)one minute, hitting the powder and high on life the next.

The Boost, unlike other movies, decided to kill two birds with one stone and have Young's character and Woods on strung out together. Soon all of the money was up their noses and they lost everything, including a baby that perished as Linda was highed up and fell down like a jackass.

Oddities: Despite wanting to see James Woods get worse and Sean Young before she got tagged as a crazy, I couldn't stay awake.

Timeline: 2:30 AM to 4 something AM. I woke up at 11. I think I missed it.



Smokey and the Bandit II- (1980) It's always fun to see a couple getting tired of one another. In a movie and committed to film forever? Even better. That's the deal with this dreadful 1980 sequel to 1977's classic, Smokey and the Bandit. This movie barely has a plot, a distressingly perfunctory Burt Reynolds, and elephant and Dom DeLuise. It was doomed. Every gag failed and the most embarrassing one, Sheriff Buford T. Justice's brothers (all Jackie Gleason) joining the hunt for Bandit is as vile as a looking in a friend's hurl bucket.

Oddities: Despite seeing Sally Field in tight, tight jeans, Burt Reynolds's mix of bravado and self-loathing put me out like a light.

Timeline: 3 AM or so to 3:40. Admittedly my mental powers weren't too sharp at this hour. I think I channel surfed by the last thing I saw was the Bandit visiting Uncle Phil and on the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

No comments: