Sunday, April 08, 2007

The Price Is Right: The Search For a New Dolt

It seems that the Price Is Right folks held a "new host" deal right under Bob Barker's big snozz. You know what that means, it's time for Bob to bottle up and go. Here's a few of the contenders for the lamest job in American history.





Todd Newton- Can you imagine? For the past 20 years TV's been looking for bland, inoffensive hosts for game shows. Newton's so remote that a genetically engineered Bob Barker robot is a better idea. Todd's been bouncing around the entertainment highway too. I've run out of things to say about Todd Newton...






Doug Davidson- Davidson actually hosted an ill-fated version of Price is Right in 1832. He's been on the Young and Restless for a while now. Oh goodness, how could he fulfill his duties as host and an actor, it's a mystery. And I'm totally uninterested.







Mark Steines- Oh goodness, how would he ever pull himself away Howard K. Stern and Anna Nicole Smith. I think not. Steines is damaged goods and isn't emotionally stable enough to participate in the feigned joy that PIR calls for.

My Take: The Steines of 5 years ago might have been suitable. His troubles with the bottle and OCD have taken him out of the running.




Mario Lopez- Now here's one I called, in jest. And look, turns out that AC Slater is trying to pry the mike out of Bob Barker's bony/clammy hand. I'll tell the world: I don't want to see Mario Lopez everyday. My nerves are too fragile.

Part 2: As a game show host, Lopez is relatively young. The best ones were "over-the-hill" reprobates like the aforementioned Bob Parker, Jim Lange and Gene Rayburn. Speaking of Rayburn, I owe him an email.


John O' Hurley- This is a pick I could live with. He's silly, quick on his feet and a talented guy. Yeah, probably too good for this crap fest. Got to say, O' Hurley certainly has crafted a nice career for himself. I remember him as a soap actor and he mostly played disgusting and unseemly characters like...


5 comments:

Dupa Jasia said...

.. .. ...

Shawn said...

My write-in vote goes to Chuck Woolery.

Unknown said...

Well he did make the Love Connection what it was--and it could have been disastrous.

The only thing about Chuck is that I don't know if I could see him on a daily basis. Bob Barker's been so inert for so long, seeing this hosted with someone with some "awake" might be shocking.

Shawn said...

Well, Love Connection was daily if memory serves me correct. Seriously, I think Chuck could pull it off. He just may have to stop laughing at everything all the damn time.

How 'bout someone revive John Davidson.

Unknown said...

It sure was on everyday--and that was a lot of Chuck. He does laugh a lot, that would be good for a host of PIR. It would be disheartening if they gave this to a robot like Todd Newton.

John Davidson is a good candidate. He didn't do a bad job on that late '80s version of Hollywood Squares.