Thursday, April 26, 2007

Celine Dion and Elvis Presley: A Review

I got a chance to see American Idol last night. It's still silly. The best part was this "America Gives Back" segment that featured a lot of stars like Pink and Gwen Stefani. Oh yeah, that's right. They all paled in comparison to two singers in particular, Celine Dion and Elvis Presley.

Elvis overcame incredible odds to be there, but when he showed up, you could feel the electricity in the air. His duet partner was Celine Dion. I'm not one for duets, but this was something special. Reportedly Presley wanted to had other songs he wanted to do like "She Bangs" or that wretch worthy theme from Titanic. The two settled on an Elvis classic, "If I Can Dream" despite the fact that its always been dreadful.


I'm a cynic at heart, but I was immediately taken with the chemistry exhibited between these two icons. Elvis (who hasn't performed since 1977) seemed a bit distracted, like he was somewhere else or something. He often looked away from Dion and kept his distance. She was able to put out a great performance like she was essentially singing by herself or something.


Everyone in the audience was aghast (a gassed too) at the very appearance of Elvis Presley. What a fountain of youth! How does he keep in such good shape? I guess it's between him and Dr. Nick.




Grade: B+

4 comments:

Shawn said...

I didn't see it but that's a funny description.

Has somebody been tweaking their blog colors? Something looks different.

Unknown said...

Thanks Shawn. I'm having an awful time trying to find a template and colors, etc...

Shawn said...

caught about :30 seconds of the performance over the weekend. Quite dramatic, if I must say so. The program I watched said, Celine wasn't in studios live. And that the Elvis thingy was part hologram, part Elvis impersonator. What in the sam hill? Is thingy a part of Celine's Vegas act?

Unknown said...

I hope it's not a part of her act. I think it's not even worth it to cart out the Elvis footage. The song wasn't ever that great to begin. Plus the impersonator, the staging, well everything--doesn't make sense. I don't think Celine Dion even sings the song all that well.