Thursday, January 12, 2006

Flavor of Love

When did VH1 go so horribly wrong? Was it "Late World With Zach" or I Love the '80s Part 15? Anyway it's come to this, "the Flavor of Love." The set up is simple, it's a bachelor type show featuring Public Enemy's Flavor Flav. Tell me this was remotely possible in say, 1989. Flash up a decade or so and he's a catch? Come on now...

Despite his partial grasp on reality, it's a total Lowered Expectations fest to see him traipsing around in a smoking jacket and a Viking helmet in an attempt to be bon vivant. It's mind boggling to decipher excatly what breakdown in entertainment and reality caused this to happen. You know what else is shocking? Women with straight faces acting like he's a keeper. Again, I'm no Billy Dee Williams but the very idea...

Like all Bachelor shows, a lot of the women are psycho circuses in their own right. Of course being a jerkazoid, Flav sent a few of the hotter ones packing during the first clock ceremony. The remaining ones? They're totally insane. Names and nicknames all blur into one desperate woman vying for the attention of a Brokedown Bachelor. Excuses, chemistry and clap trap about destiny aside, Flavor Flav has too much baggage to be "set up."


An Idiot's Take: Well if he's really looking, I'd say the best person for Flavor Flav is a woman who doesn't go on a show trying to date Flavor Flav.

Grade: C- It's bad but not "Joey" bad so I can't complain that much...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's a sad state of affairs when this sort of TV show gets the green light. But your watching & reviewing it saved me from it, so thanks. You are my hero.

TD

Anonymous said...

This show scares me. He scares me. And, I have to say...I don't really have any respect for these women because you know not one of them is really attracted to him. gross gross gross.

Unknown said...

Ha, thanks Trish. I did have the best intentions of liking this but well, the show's just silly. Often these "Bachelor" shows cast for effect, but this was a little too transparent. They went for types more than anything else...

Don, oddly enough I did like Flav--until I saw him on the Surreal Life kicking the house's puppy. Not cool :) I've got to disagree I bet some of those women are attracted to him. Why they are there, I don't know but I blame VH1 for the very idea. They're getting a great track record at showing "celebs" at their absolute worst...

Anonymous said...

Flavor of Love is must see tv...I can't get enough.

"Women with straight faces acting like he's a keeper." <-- the reason I have to watch. I can't believe these women are serious.

Unknown said...

Shawn, I can think a few of them are serious and that's the entertainment part of it, it's surreal in a sense. To be honest, I still can't get my head around some of those attractive women being there. I just don't get it LOL.

Anonymous said...

I know, right? I look at hoopz and think "why are you putting yourself through this?" I just don't understand...

Unknown said...

I think that way about a few of them, especially Hoopz, Smiley and that girl who was screaming at New York. They all can explore other opportunities besides Flavor Flav heh heh...

As for Pumkin and Hottie, they're right where they need to be LOL.