Sunday, November 20, 2005

John Lithgow: What Happened?

John Lithgow needs our help. His Campbell's Selects commercials have to be a plea of some kind. At this point I'm dreading seeing them. It wasn't always like this. The first time I saw them I thought they were pleasant enough. I was a little surprised to see someone of Lithgow's stature doing such a tacky commercial. Make that three commercials so far. They all are hideous and they all make Lithgow look like a jackass.

I find this annoying for various reasons. I think the idea of a "high-end" Campbell soup is a bit ridiculous at this point. The hi-fluent tone of the "menu" is pretty wretch worthy too. You know there's a remedy for all of this: Progresso.

In one spot in particular Lithgow is eating soup and dancing around in his "jammies." See, Campbell's Selects gave him that power. He doesn't have to go to some fancy restaurant for fine food, he can grab a box of soup like the rest of us.


For his own good. Me and my fellow fighters try to prevent John from filming another soul-numbing/self-negating commercial...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree! Isn't the man a Broadway and movie star? Why is he shucking for soup? And, if you're going to sell out for food, why not something good, like Krispy Kreme, so you can get a lifetime supply?

Unknown said...

Thanks Don. I was hoping I wasn't alone on this. Truly Lithgow should be ashamed of himself, I recently saw Ricochet, that turn was hammy enough and with this recent development, I couldn't take him seriously at all.

Krispy Kremes--well that's a good idea. I don't know, the whole Campbell's deal isn't irreverent or humorous--it makes Lithgow look like a jerk.

Anonymous said...

I have been meaning to tell you that I don't think this is the worse John Lithgow has done..I hated '3rd Rock' and I really like soup. ;)

Sorry.

Unknown said...

It's ok :) After a while I didn't like 3rd Rock either. As for his Campbell's commercial, I haven't seen it, for a week--now that's some good news!

Anonymous said...

funny, because I saw it for the first time this weekend.

*can't be worse than James Earl Jone's MCI long distance commercials...*

Unknown said...

Really I was stunned the first time I saw it. He seems so serious, not especially happy or facetious, just a talented actor embarrasing himself for a hopefully hefty sum, heh heh...

Uh oh, James Earl Jones's commercials, now that's a blog entry waiting to happen LOL.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to read it, I am sure it will be a delight...

Unknown said...

Thanks Elle B :)