Monday, October 31, 2005

Larry Holmes and Evander Holyfield: Song and Dance Men

"Are they crazy?"

Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Fred Astaire, those are true legends. Let's not close the book right there however. In fact I like to add two new names I feel are their true heirs: Evander Holyfield and Larry Holmes. Both of them are following in the footsteps of entertainment dynamos like Joe Frazier and Gerry Cooney. While those two are our biggest superstars today, I'd like to think Evander and Larry will give them a run for their money.


I got a chance to see Mr. Larry Holmes in action on the VH1 series But Can They Sing? In Holmes's case, let me say it, "Definately." As any person in the business knows, Holmes has "it." For the aforementioned program Holmes dazzled the crowd with his 8 Track blue suit and his dance moves that look like staggering to the untrained eye. That's not important, with Larry Holmes--it's all about the voice. He chose to sing James Brown's "I Feel Good." It was chilling and very moving. You know I'm going to avoid But Can They Sing? like the plague. Why? Because I know Larry can't possibly top that stellar performance.

I hadn't heard of Evander Holyfield before his stint on Dancing with the Stars. Someone told me he was a "boxer." Yeah right, Holyfield is a born dancer and that's where he's earned his raves, correct me if I'm wrong. Seeing Holyfield "in the zone" is a real threat. On the show he did "The Shimmy" and "The Jog." Holyfield even raised the stakes and began to move like he couldn't dance just to throw off the competition. Evander Holyfield is an innovator. Did he win? Nope. If you ask me everyone was just jealous. Me? I'm happy to see such talent still present in show business...

No comments: