Tuesday, February 21, 2006

NBC/Saturday Night Live Vs. You Tube

As a blogger of note, I was contacted by higher-up/mucky mucks about NBC's recent legal action. Long story short, Saturday Night Live had a popular skit called, "Lazy Sunday" starring Andy Samberg and Chris Parnell. All of the action that went to YouTube via the skit was astounding. And you know what? It seemed to pose a problem for NBC. Turns out that a lot of skits from Saturday Night Live and other NBC shows appeared on the site. Wow, who da thunk it? NBC demanded that the work would be removed. The good news is that I'm totally impartial about the situation.


My Take: NBC has too many problems to be even thinking about YouTube. The ratings are in the crapper, both "The Office" and "My Name is Earl" aren't as big hits as planned. It's a good thing that a solid hit like "Joey" is there to take up the slack. Could they look any more out of it whining about this? Here's a duh moment, the more people stumble on an actually funny skit, the more inclined they might be to watch the show again. As for getting NBC shows off the internet--it's probably not going to happen. But I'll do all I can to make sure it doesn't appear on my blog, on second thought I don't care.


" Now run tell that..."





Update: NBC apparently isn't whistling dixie and they are still scoping out YouTube and sucking up every instance of the months old Lazy Sunday they can find. Great investigative work. Too bad that single minded-ness couldn't help "Boomtown" to actually stay on the air...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i guess google video is next......

Unknown said...

I don't think they can do anything about Google Video. It's a great setup over there too...

Anonymous said...

I agree with what you mostly say but Joey being a big hit? C'mon you gotta be kiding me. I wonder why they put The Office and Earl on Thursday instead of Joey?
Anyways that was it. =)

Unknown said...

Thanks RC, well I guess Joey wasn't ever a hit, strange it seemed like it could have been. I know why they put The Office and Earl on Thursdays, they want some viewers heh. NBC moved Joey to Tuesdays, I'm going to watch it though...