Saturday, October 01, 2005

Kind of Watching It TV: Breaking Bonaduce

Talk about bait n' switch. At first when I saw that Danny Bonaduce was doing a reality program, I was positively sanguine. In fact thought it would be nice to see a personality we've all grown up with, facing his problems and demons. Little did I know this was still an ongoing process. I always thought Bonaduce was a bright guy but seeing him in this shape is a wee bit painful.

Given the sick, voyeuristic reality fare VH-1 has been putting forth, my recall on this isn't the greatest. I've seen enough to know the following: Danny's crazy. Breaking Bonaduce shows Danny totally out of control, injecting steroids on camera and pumping iron like a man possessed, etc. His marriage looks like it's teetering on dunzo too. This show takes a lot of time in the psychologist office and Danny and his wife Gretchen aren't exactly model patients. The last thing I saw was Danny ready to rip some jokers head off and then I turned away. This is brutal stuff--and not that entertaining.

An Idiot's Three Cents: I don't think we can say being a child star caused this. Regardless of his former notoriety, I think Danny might have had problems anyway. He seems to love being hyper, I bet he'd mainline electricity if he could. A-

Danny and Gretchen during a therapy session. I did that for a little while, if a little while is shorthand for 14 years.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

This is so true. Danny Bonaduce used to be one of the few entertainers who came across like a human being. On this VH-1 abomination, he comes across like a very screwed-up man. I cannot make myself sit through a whole episode. It's truly pathetic and I have to hope that Mr. Bonaduce does not look back on this part of his life fondly. What a total wreck.

Unknown said...

Hey Ed, yes that Ed heh heh. You know I caught Danny on some talk show and it's like it's a joke or something. It's not. This is the one reality show that I found was a little exploitive by the subject and the people behind the scenes.

I was like all involved were hoping Bonaduce would implode (on tape of course) get help and then all would be fine. Well that's did happen and as a viewer I felt a bit used. I don't muster too much pity for Danny or his wife, they seemed to be having too much fun.