Saturday, September 10, 2005

The Party Machine with Nia Peeples



This Paramount syndicated dance show was the brain child of Arsenio Hall. This of course ran directly after Hall’s show in 1991. If I remember correctly Arsenio acted like this was the best idea since tires and he certainly gave this a good push. No avail. According to a press kit that I just received (14 years too late, thanks) Peeples was the host of MTV's Friday Night Street Party (don't remember it). Back in 1988 she released "Trouble" for Mercury Records. The Party Machine with Nia Peeples a hit the airwaves in early 1991. Got to say it was a good idea, it was like saying, “Hey, Arsenio’s over, come party with us—-over at the Party Machine. It was like virtual bar hopping without the tears, self-doubt, obsessive hair combing. Oops, was that just me?

Despite the prediction on the card in the pic, The Party Machine with Nia Peeples didn't catch on. The bad news was that the music scene began to change as that specific kind of dance, pop, R&B started to wane. Peebles made for a nice presence however, she was the main attraction. I can't remember a single act that appeared.


Nice Coinky Dink: In doing the research for this I found out that Nia Peeples and I share the same birthday. I did not know that but what I do know is that Nia better cough up a present this year. I ain't playin'...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jason, while doing a search on "the party machine" I stumbled on your blog...you might be asking why anyone would be looking for that show, well I recently slipped up that I was a dancer on 6 of the episodes, don't laugh too hard...the point... I can at least remember one of the episodes included: Michael Bivins, Another Bad Creation and Boyz 2 Men.

thanks for taking me back to my youth even if it was cheesy.

Unknown said...

You're welcome, you've made my night, that's really cool that you danced on there.

Anonymous said...

I WAS A DANCER ON THERE I STILL HAVE ALLLLLLLLL MY TAPES..

Unknown said...

I wish I could see those tapes. there's just a few clips on YouTube :(

Anonymous said...

Jason wrote: Peebles [sic] made for a nice presence however, she was the main attraction. I can't remember a single act that appeared.

Okay, I am not saying that you made a Freudian Typo ('Peebles'), but MCA recording artist 'Pebbles' was indeed the very first act on The Party Machine! Are you sure you don't remember a single act? ;-) LOL! Just kidding.

I know recorded at least a couple of episodes, when/if I ever run across them again, I'll upload to Youtube. Btw: I went to school with a girl who was. . . wait for it . . . a dancer on TPM.

Unknown said...

Heh, you caught that huh. I'm a big fan of Nia Pebbles, ha! I'll stop. Very cool about knowing someone who was a dancer on the show, it is one show I actually did like.

It would be nice to see those ep's of TPM again. And just thinking of this show, I remembered that my old local Blockbuster used to play a video of TPM all day long on its TV screens. Even odder, I think it was a few years after the fact...