Thursday, April 07, 2005

The 12" G.I. Joe: Mission Aborted, Again


Item: I'm officially A Relic, Just Like This Guy Posted by Hello


Isn't this some great pop culture news? In February '05, the "good" folks at Hasbro put the skids on the 12 inch version of G.I. Joe. Crap. Now what are those legions of "kids" going to do? Kids, right--no one's buying G.I. Joes put a bunch of has-beens like me. I deserve it, why not. The Reagan era pretty much sucked the childhood out of me, I needed a respite, a time to reflect and by 1991 Hasbro started to make "big" Joes again. Of course in the time between it cranked out tons of silly little 3" inch figures that were no doubt airway constrictors for kids the whole world over.

For nearly 15 years, 12" inch G.I. Joes were on the market. It wasn't all good however. Lately the whole deal seemed to go awry with sillier looking figures, even more inane missions and a market that all but turned in on itself. Talk about a company reaming itself time and time again. No big deal. G.I. Joes of all eras will be available. Other companies will make something like them and since Hasbro has gotten so moronic, after a while, it won't make a difference. Plus a lot of the new product has been totally shitty. In a sense, Hasbro said they never wanted to make the same G.I. Joe twice, but in a way, they did--but not enough of the best ones...

Thoughts On The Post- Oh please, you'd think you'd lost a head of state or something. You've got 70 odd pieces of plastic, that oughta hold you, huh? And plus Hasbro has pretty much exhausted all options and were too cowardly to make a straight-ahead, 1970's like-GI Joe that wasn't as light as a feather and had a uniform that didn't fall to pieces on the way home, ahh screw 'em...

Rant Part 2- Who's great idea was it to make a pathetic 8 inch GI Joe? They tried to do the same ass thing in 1977 with the hideous Super Joe, talk about a joke--try hitting the playground with that freak of nature...

No comments: